Waterproblems find their solutions
Shortage of information
There is no information available to take appropriate action.
Traditional research on fish is carried out with traps, fishing nets and electrical fishing. This causes disruption and is not always sufficiently efficient.
eDNA is a method whereby the presence of species of fish and other animal species in a water can be demonstrated by means of a water sample. In the water, DNA can be found from skin cells, urine and faeces. By analyzing this DNA it is possible to show the presence of animal species in the water without having to catch these species.
- With eDNA, 1.6 times more fish species per section are indicated than with the traditional method.
- Because eDNA is more effective than traditional methods, fewer sections have to be examined for a complete picture of a body of water.
- A more accurate insight in the fish species makes it possible to improve the protection of vulnerable species.
- Fish no longer need to be caught, this ensures less disruption.
- Topic Water quality
- Development state 6: System/subsystem model or prototype demonstration in a relevant environment
- Water type Surface water
By logging in you can access the contact information of the referer and involved companies.Login